TikTok has become one of the most popular social media platforms for creating and sharing short-form videos. If you want to grow your TikTok following quickly, this comprehensive guide will walk you through the steps and provide examples to help you succeed.
Step 1: Choosing the Right Topic
Selecting the right topic for your TikTok content is crucial. You want to create videos that resonate with a large audience. Here’s how to do it:
Research Your Topic
- Let’s say you’re interested in cooking. Start by searching for broad cooking-related content on TikTok. Don’t niche down too far yet on this search.
- Use TikTok’s search feature and apply filters like “This Month” and “Sort by most liked.”
- Look for videos related to your chosen topic with many likes and views.
Example: If you find cooking videos with over 100,000 likes and views, it’s a good indication that there’s a large audience interested in this topic.
Explore Trending Topics
- TikTok trends change frequently, so stay updated on what’s currently popular.
- Create content related to trending challenges, songs, or themes to reach a wider audience.
Example: If a dance challenge is trending on TikTok, creating a video of yourself participating in the challenge can attract viewers interested in that trend.
Step 2: Optimize Video Length
The length of your TikTok videos plays a crucial role in viewer engagement. Here’s how to optimize it:
Keep It Concise
- TikTok videos are typically short, with a maximum length of 3 minutes.
- Focus on delivering your message or content within the first 15 seconds to grab viewers’ attention.
Example: If you’re sharing a recipe, start with an exciting intro showcasing the final dish and then explain the steps concisely.
TikTok, originally known for its short-form video content, has shifted its focus to encourage creating and consuming longer-form videos in 20231. This pivot has been met with mixed success, as the platform is trying to adapt to the changing content landscape and possibly compete with other platforms that offer longer content formats2.
It has been observed that creators who embrace long-form content on TikTok are experiencing faster growth, with some reports indicating that they are growing five times faster than those who do not.
Despite this, some creators and users have expressed concerns about how this shift might change the overall vibe of the platform, which has been built on quick, engaging short videos2.
End on a High Note
- Ensure that the most exciting or engaging part of your video is towards the end.
- Ending the video at the peak moment encourages viewers to watch it again or explore your other content.
Example: If you’re doing a magic trick, reveal the magic’s climax in the last few seconds to leave viewers amazed and curious for more.
By ending on a high note, creators leverage this principle to leave a strong final impression, which can have several benefits:
- Increased Retention: Viewers are more likely to watch the video until the end if they anticipate a rewarding conclusion.
- Replay Value: A strong ending makes the video more memorable, and viewers may want to re-experience that peak moment, leading them to watch the video multiple times.
- Shareability: People are more likely to share content that elicits a strong emotional response, especially if that response comes at the end of a video.
- Engagement with Additional Content: A high note ending can pique viewers’ interest, making them curious about the creator’s other videos, potentially leading them to explore more of the creator’s content.
For example, if you’re a magician creating content for TikTok, you would structure your magic trick video to build anticipation throughout, with the trick’s setup and execution taking up the majority of the video. The reveal or climax of the trick would occur in the final moments. This strategy leaves viewers in a heightened state of amazement or surprise, making the experience more memorable. As a result, they might rewatch the video to see if they can understand how the trick was done or look through your other videos for more magic tricks, thus increasing your content’s overall engagement and reach.
Step 3: Rank for Search
Optimizing your TikTok content for search can help you reach the right audience. Here’s how to do it:
Use Relevant Keywords
- Identify relevant keywords related to your content.
- Include these keywords in your video description and captions to increase discoverability.
Example: If your video is about pet grooming, use keywords like “pet grooming tips,” “dog care,” and “cat grooming” in your captions and description.
- Utilize trending hashtags in your niche to increase your video’s visibility.
- Research popular hashtags related to your content and incorporate them into your captions.
Example: If you’re sharing fitness tips, use hashtags like #FitnessTips, #WorkoutWednesday, or #HealthyLiving to join relevant conversations.
Step 4: Engage with Analytics
Monitoring your TikTok analytics is essential for understanding your audience’s behavior. Here’s how to do it:
Analyze View Duration
- Pay attention to the percentage of viewers who continue watching your video after the first 3 seconds.
- If it’s below 70%, consider making changes to your content to improve engagement.
Example: If you notice a drop in viewership early in your video, experiment with a more captivating intro or visuals.
Experiment and Adapt
- Be open to trying different content styles and formats.
- Use analytics to identify which types of content perform best and adapt your strategy accordingly.
Example: If your comedy skits get more engagement than your educational content, consider incorporating humor into your videos.
Step 5: Use TikTok Features
Leveraging TikTok’s features can boost your reach and engagement. Here are some features to explore:
- Create carousel posts by combining four to six images or short clips.
- Ensure the first slide has a hook, and the last slide includes a call to action.
Example: If you’re a fashion influencer, create a carousel post showcasing different outfits with a call to action to follow for more fashion inspiration.
- If you encounter trending products, create content around them.
- TikTok tends to show products repeatedly to users who engage with them.
Example: If you find a popular skincare product, create a video demonstrating its benefits and where to purchase it.
- Duets involve creating content alongside another user’s video.
- Duets have made a comeback, so take advantage of this feature when it aligns with your content.
Example: If a popular singer shares a singing video, you can duet with them by harmonizing or adding your unique twist.
In conclusion, gaining followers on TikTok involves a combination of strategy, creativity, and adaptability. Remember that building a genuine and engaged following takes time, so stay patient and consistent with your content. By choosing the right topic, optimizing video length, ranking for search, engaging with analytics, and using TikTok’s features, you can enhance your chances of growing your TikTok followers in a meaningful and sustainable way.