When you hear the Youtube “Gurus” talk about how to make money on youtube, and how they make thousands each month on Youtube or hundred’s of thousands per year, they are generally including several ways their channel earns income, not just from ads. So how much money CAN you make on Youtube? In this article, I’ll share how people make money on their Youtube Channels.
**This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
Monetizing your Channel with Adsense
Once you reach 1000 subscribers and 4000 hours of watch time over a 12 month period, you can monetize your Youtube Channel with Google Adsense.
This is where ads appear on your videos and you are paid around $4.00 to . $5.00 per 1000 views.
You can view the more comprehensive guide to monetizing your youtube channel here.
While there are celebrities earning millions, the majority aren’t earning a living income on running ads on their channel.
If you are new to Youtube, getting this many subscribers could take hundreds of videos unless you are already in a niche with a strong following. If you are, this could happen rather quickly.
While I haven’t seen an official report from Youtube, Some say a small channel earns an average of 2-3 subscribers per video.
To Find your total number of subscribers Per Video from Desktop:
- From your channel, click on Youtube Studio (may say beta)
- In the left column, find analytics
- Under the main graph, choose See More
- Find your Subscribers Column
Many youtuber’s are earning affiliate income. This is where you review or talk about a product and include a link in your description or give out a special code.
When the visitor purchases something through your link within a certain amount of time, you earn a commission.
Reviews on products that give you discounts on your own products (Like I do with Rothy’s shoes) are great, but how many free pairs of shoes do you really need?
Getting paid cash is where you want to focus more of your time, although I’m not turning my nose down at the free bacon and hamburger I get for life now from Butcher Box!
Ideas For Affiliatee Income videos
- Teach how to use something online. You can earn recurring commissions on subscription-based software! Tutorials do well on youtube.
- Review products you use and Memberships you have (like clothing subscription boxes, food delivery, workout videos etc.)
- Demonstrate how you use something. An example might a new recipe you are making in the instant pot. Include a link to the instant pot.
- Feature fashion as in “what I wore this week” with links to items.
- Take footage of your vacation and link to tour companies, hotels, cruise lines and more that have formed affiliate relationships with.
Generating about $50 per 500 views is a decent estimate for sponsorship on your channel. You mention the advertiser and are paid accordingly. Some bigger names, brands, and channels will warrant higher sponsorship fees.
This works out to a significantly higher amount than Adsense would on that many views.
Create Info Products
Most channels that focus on “teaching” how to do something often link to the creator’s info products such as “cheat sheets” and courses. Some offer to coach and live appearances as well.
Many have built their own software that they promote from their Youtube channel.
One month, I was hired to speak at an event. Between the live event fee and upsell to info products and services, I earned around $15,000 for that event.
As a Youtube Creator, I could easily say I earned $15,000 in one month from one video. That would be a true statement, and it would be up to you to dive deeper into the truth to see exactly how that came to be.Go to top
Some Creators build a channel primarily to sell their services. For example, a real estate agent may build a channel about issues buyers and sellers face every day in additition to neighborhood, school, and local information. Their channel is 100% monetized by their services.
- Affiliate Income
- Info Products: Courses, Books, Cheat Sheets etc.
- Coaching and Consultations
- Membership sites
I’m so glad you found this article. My name is Lori Ballen and I am an affiliate marketer. Having been passionate about marketing my entire life, I was led into affiliate marketing by accident. As a natural teacher, I began sharing my life’s work on video and through my marketing company and before I knew it, I woke up one day with a 6 figure income purely from affiliate marketing. Follow along as I poke the box and test and measure affiliate marketing strategy that brings proven results.Take The Ballen Method To Video Course and Learn How To Build a Great Channel
- How Much Money Can You Make On Youtube?
- 3 Ways This Blog Post Makes Money
- A Comprehensive Guide to Blogging For A Living
- The Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Benefits of WordPress
- Shopify vs. WooCommerce – Which E-Commerce Platform Should You Use?