In this Article, we will cover:
- Add in more semantically related keywords.
- Write other blogs that link back to the ranking post or page
- Earn a Featured Snippet!!!
- Get ideas for spin off blogs by including “People also ask” questions as seen on Google.
- Add a Video
- Check your Keyword Placement for Best Practices
- Score a great backlink!
- Include an Outbound link
- Increase your Click Through Rate
- Increase User Actions
- Improve the User Experience
- Share your Page
Basically, deep dive into the subject covering more areas of the topic. Add another paragraph and keep doing this to build value. 1000 words, 2000 words, 3000 words. Grow it. When you first think about a 3000 word Article, it might be overwhelming. They key is to break it down into bites you can chew. Think of it as Ten 300 word paragraphs. Can you find 10 components of this article to write about? Or, how about Six 500 word articles. Take one component at a time and work through just that paragraph. Pause for research if you need to. Anytime you get stuck, head on over to Google and ask a question. You’ll get a ton of great ideas from the “people also ask” section. In addition, at the bottom of the page, you’ll see 10 more suggested keyword phrases people have used related to this topic.
These niches” within a niche or small segmented pieces warrant their own blog. We are not talking about saying the same thing 10 different ways. We aren’t targeting the new piece around the same head term keyword phrase we are for the main blog (MAMA) piece.
Remember, we said our topic was How to Buy a House in San Diego. Let’s see what kind of topics we can come up with:
- Saving for your downpayment
- First time Home Buyer Loan Programs
- How to buy a house with a boyfriend or girlfriend
- Loan Programs for Teachers, Military, and Heroes
- What Credit Score is Needed to Buy a House
- How much will it clost to buy a house
- How to choose a good Home Owners Insurance
- What is a Home Owners Warranty?
- What comes with the House?
- How do I win with multiple offers
- How do I choose between two houses I love?
- What if the house I want to buy has mold?
- What neighborhoods have the best schools?
- What neighborhoods ahve the best resale value?
How’s that? There are a lot more where that came from! Now if you wanted to, you could make the “MAMA” blog bigger by adding 1, 2, 3, or all of those topics. If you do the spin off small blogs and have that section of content on both pieces, you’ll want to use a rel=canonical to express to Google that you would prefer your MAMA blog rank for that content.
You can dive deeper into this topic by learning more about cornerstone content and internal linking.
Earn a Featured Snippet!!!
Get ideas for spin off blogs by including “People also ask” questions as seen on Google.
Add a Video
Check your Keyword Placement for Best Practices
- Place your keyword towards the front of the title
- Include your Keyword in a heading tag (H1-H6)
- Include your keyword in an image attribute but only if it’s natural. Don’t stuff it in
- Include your keyword in the metadescription
- Do not overuse your keyword or state it in several variations unless it’s natural. Google does not need to see that and if your keyword density is too high, it could trip their spam filter.
How can I find out which keywords my website ranks for?
Increase your Click Through Rate
We know that click through rate is a ranking factor with Google and that there is a direct correlation with increase in rankings when click through rates improve. Now, naturally, the higher your position, the higher your click through rate should be as well as 65% of the clicks on the page are going to the first 3 positions. If you aren’t one of these 3, it’s time to look at that click through rate.
You can find out what your click through rate is by using the free tool by Google called Search Console (formally known as Google Webmaster tools). If you have never set this up before, you won’t have this data. You are going to want to have access to Google Analytics and Google Search Console if you are focusing on search engine rankings.
Increase User Actions
Google has progressed to machine learning. Rank Brain, Google’s artificial intelligence is directly responsible for how ranking works in 2017 and beyond. Rank Brain is focused on clicks. It measures from the point of the query (typed in search in the Google search bar) to the results page, to the webpage, and then what happens after.
Improve the User Experience
- Your page should load in about 3 seconds. That’s the first key to creating a quality user experience.
- Make sure your pages are mobile responsive
- Break up chunky text with images, graphs, links
- Turn off anything that autoplays
- Save the annoying pop up’s for later in the visit
- Include related links to anything the visitor might want to learn more about
- Include Video
- Avoid flash elements and sliders that serve no purpose
- Have a simple, easy to use menu for navigation
Get traffic to the page. This is key. Traffic is everything. In order for Google to measure how well your page does is for it to gather some metrics. A lot of traffic is going to send a signal to Google to crawl your website, and pay attention to this page. Share it on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Instagram, and anywhere else you think it’s relative. Don’t spam Facebook groups and get yourself kicked out though. Share on your pages and where it makes sense.