Google Analytics is a widely used web analytics service that tracks and reports website traffic, including the number of visitors, the pages visited, time spent on the website, geographic location of visitors, and much more.
- Under “What would you like to track?”, choose Website.
- Enter a name for your Google Analytics account.
- Set up your first property. If you have multiple websites, each website is considered a separate property. You can add a large number of properties to a single Google Analytics account, so you don’t need to create separate accounts for each website.
- When entering your website URL, be sure to enter it in the same format as your primary domain. For example, if your website has an SSL certificate installed, choose the https protocol from the drop-down menu. If your website’s primary domain does not include the www, then omit this when typing the URL here.
- Choose an Industry Category and a Reporting Time Zone.
- Read through the Data Sharing Settings and choose the settings you’re most comfortable with.
- When finished, click “Get Tracking ID”, review the Terms of Service agreement, and click “I Accept”.
The next page will display your Global Site Tag. This piece of code should be added to the <head> element of your website template so that it appears on every page of the site that you wish to track.
If you have a BREW website from Ballen Brands, you can add the code to your website by going to BREW > Head / Footer Scripts. Paste the code into the Head Scripts box and save the changes.
Other WordPress themes may also have a place for you to add this code. Check your theme’s documentation for more information. As an alternative, you can use a plugin such as ‘Header and Footer Scripts’, or if you’re familiar with WordPress development you can use the wp_head() hook.</di