How different is SEO in 2018? What does SEO-optimized content look like in 2018? It’s more about the information than it is about keyword stuffing, that’s for sure. It’s about covering a topic in depth and being the authority.
It’s about answering questions completely and providing additional resources (even if it’s not you) where needed. It’s about a great user experience, fast load time, and visuals. Read more about what it will take to rank on the search engines in 2018.
- Traditional on-page SEO still applies – Title tag, H2 tag, Meta description, Alt attribute on the image.
- Internal links to additional pages the user may find valuable. Whether direct or indirect signals (debatable), clicks are engagement and a signal of quality quite often.
- Video. Longer dwell time, also a quality addition if the video is relative and useful to the user.
- Outbound links. While old-school SEO may indicate off-page links as a negative practice, Google views it as valuable if the user would find it valuable.
- Schema – Help Google learn even better about content on your page.
- Answering questions often found on sites like (Google ‘People also ask’, Quora, Answerthepublic.com’)
- Semantics – Semantically related keywords and sections on a page will not only be a best practice but required.An example would be, if you are writing an article on selling a house, Google might expect to see information on costs, finding a real estate agent, real estate market information, staging, home inspections, appraisals and so forth.If you are writing about surfing, Google might expect to see things about the ocean, weather, safety, surfboards, sharks, and equipment.
- Long-form content, bullet points, dividers and page up links to improve the user experience
- No more chunky text. Readability is a must, especially on mobile. Breaking up large blocks of text.
- Images, but not so large they kill page load
- Fast load time
- Clear navigation
- Avoiding pop up interruptions
- Essentially, Great Content and a Quality user experience. Giving the user what they want in a way they can digest it!