**This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
You’ve been thinking about real estate promotion. You want swag for your real estate business. Great idea. Good for you! But before you run out and order two cases of branded pens or tee shirts with your contact info that may never be worn understand this: There are two types of swag. First, there are closing gifts – a way to say thank you to the client who just bought or sold a home with you. Second, there are products designed to promote brand awareness and get more leads. Whichever method of marketing you’re using to sweeten the deal with swag, you must be thoughtful, creative, and smart with your purchases.
Thank You Gifts for Real Estate Promotion
Thank you gifts are a wonderful way to close out a business transaction. You want to show your clients you appreciate their business. In offering a thank you gift, you increase the chances of that client returning to you when they have additional real estate needs. Even better, you may find that your clients are more eager to refer you to friends, family members, and associates with real estate needs.
In the case of gifts, not all products need to be branded. Remember, you’re thanking them for their business, not asking them to advertise for you.
Thank You Gifts for Buyers
You know, matter of factly, when a client buys a home from you — especially a first time home-buyer, there are household items that will come in handy. Use these basic ideas to craft gift baskets for your buyers:
- Hand your client their new keys on a cute keychain. There are fancy keychains available that make a bigger impression than a piece of plastic with your logo on it. There are also keychains with flashlights.
- Tape measure: your clients may need to measure spaces within the home for furniture purchases, etc.
- Toolkit: As a new homeowner, your client may find themselves needing to do repairs or household projects.
- Chip clips, spatulas, jar openers, refrigerator magnets, knife sets, and other kitchen accessories.
- Business card chocolate treats.
- Coasters to protect their furniture.
- Calendar: Calendars are one of the most popular methods of business advertising. Think about how many calendars you get near the end of the year. Doctor’s offices, banks, insurance companies, veterinarians, and local businesses all send out calendars. When too many calendars flood a person, many of them end up getting given away – or worse yet, thrown away! There goes your money straight into the circular file. Make your calendar stand out from the rest with a few hand-written notes. For example, how about a “Happy Homeowner-versary” note on the one year anniversary of their closing. Or a “Happy Birthday” note on your client’s birthday? These are small touches that pack a powerful punch.
- A document folder for holding their important homeowner documents.
- Home safety booklet or home record book journal
- Fire extinguisher – a tool that could save a home or a life in the case of a fire.
- Cross marketing with a local photographer for portraits for the new home.
- House plants or seeds for a garden.
All of the above items are designed to make home ownership easier for your client. But they’re not necessarily unique. When you want to make a serious impression, think outside of the box.
Thank You Gifts for Sellers
When it comes to thank you gifts for your sellers, think travel. Even if your seller is moving locally, anything that can make a move easier will go a long way with your clients.
- Travel mugs or thermoses – to keep that coffee hot on road trips.
- Business card chocolate treat, or snack packs for road food.
- Tablet pads or phone cases to keep electronics protected on the road.
- Ice scraper
- Antibacterial wipes canister
- Compact mirror
- Lip balm
- Fuel gift card
- Tote bags or back packs
- Roadside emergency kit
- First aid kit
- coolers & portable outdoor chairs.
- Tire gauge pen
- Auto air fresheners
- Car window shade
- Emergency thermal blanket
- USB car charger
- Luggage tags
- seat-back organizer
Raising the Bar
- Did your client upsize due to a pregnancy? Consider a gift for the baby such as a pacifier attached to a bib that says, “Drooling over the new house”, or “Perfectly Pacified in My New Home”. Or a onesie that says, “Future Homeowner”.
- Don’t forget the children. There are adorable trick-or-treat bags, backpacks, lunch boxes, piggy banks, coloring books, books about moving, and other items that make the kids feel as appreciated as the parents. And the parents will swoon over your attentiveness to their little ones.
- Pamper the pets. Does your client have a dog? How about a dog tee shirt that says, “Loving my new woof”, “Love my fur-ever Home”, a cat bowl that says, “The purrrfect home”.
Also consider items that are specialized to locations:
Not all real estate transactions are for home buyers or sellers. Commercial real estate is booming, and worthy of its own swag.
- Paperclip holders
- Sticky notes
- Mouse pads
- Phone/tablet stands
- Letter openers
- Butter mints
- Pocket planners
- Flash drives
- Magnet Clips
Real Estate Promotion with Marketing Swag
Sometimes your swag is meant to draw in new leads rather than thanking clients on closing. When you just want to get the word out about who you are and what you do with your real estate promotion, you absolutely do want every item branded. Think about things people often ask for that you can easily keep in your briefcase or bag. Consider these:
- Mints, gum, or candies
- Lip balm
- Tissue packs
- Hand sanitizer
- Smart cloth
- Lens Spray
- Nail files
- Moist towelettes
- Toothpick dispenser
- Sewing Kit
- Dental floss
- Hand lotion
- bandaids/first aid
Where to Snag the Swag| 10 Resources to Get You Started
Our Gift to You
Not all swag comes in physical form. There are also gifts you can give to your website viewers. Our gift to you is this FREE ebook on how to create an offer your viewers can use! Click here for your free ebook.
Ballen Brands is a digital marketing company helping business professionals rise above the noise. Our products and services include Ballen Real Estate Websites (B.R.E.W.), AutoPilot ISA, PPC Services, content packages, and The Ballen Method digital marketing curriculum for real estate agents.