Opinion writing prompts are a great way to get your students thinking critically and arguing their points. But, finding good prompts can be tough. That’s why I’ve put together 65 of the best opinion writing prompts for you! Whether you’re looking for something to get the year started or need a quick filler, these prompts will get the job done.
(1) In today’s world, many people feel that technology is moving too quickly. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
2) As reading on screens becomes more common, many people are concerned that our society will become less literate and knowledgeable. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
3) When it comes to watching television, most viewers enjoy using their DVRs to skip commercials. What are some benefits of watching television with the use of DVRs?
4) An increasing number of people now believe that obesity is a public health crisis in America. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
5) Some teachers say using technology for long periods during class time is distracting to students and inhibits their learning. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
6) In today’s world, many people feel that technology is moving too quickly. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
7) As reading on screens becomes more common, many people are concerned that our society will become less literate and knowledgeable. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
8) When it comes to watching television, most viewers enjoy using their DVRs to skip commercials. What are some benefits of watching television with the use of DVRs?
9) An increasing number of people now believe that obesity is a public health crisis in America. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
10) Some teachers say using technology for long periods during class time is distracting to students and inhibits their learning. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
11) There are plenty of people who believe that violent video games are just as bad for children as smoking cigarettes. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
12) Many parents think that too many educational toys can be detrimental to their child’s learning. Others say these toys help children develop important skills. Which do you think is true?
14) When children are young, most parents believe that they should be spanked for misbehaving. Do you think that children should ever be spanked?
15) Some people claim that popular music is no longer about talent and has lost its value as an art form. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
16) Miley Cyrus is an extremely popular celebrity. Many people think that Miley’s behavior has become increasingly inappropriate over the years. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
17) Children are often told not to play with their food, but children who do usually have more fun eating it. Does playing with your food make it taste better?
18) Some people say that there is no longer any originality in Hollywood. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
19) Many people think that “talking” toys are a good idea, but children should never play alone with a stuffed animal. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
20) Teachers who take their students on field trips say they are very helpful. Do you think that field trips are essential to a good education?
21) Some people believe that children should never be left at home alone before the age of 14. Other parents say it is fine for kids as young as 10 to stay home alone after school until their parents get home from work. Do you agree or disagree that 10-year olds can be left alone after school until their parents get home? Why or why not?
22) Many people use social media websites regularly, but some feel these websites are detrimental to society. What are some negative aspects of using sites like Facebook regularly?
23) Although most people have become more health-conscious in recent years, many still drink soda regularly which is high in sugar and caffeine. Which do you think is worse for your health, soda or coffee?
24) Many people believe that talking on a cell phone while driving endangers the lives of drivers and their passengers. What are some ways to reduce this danger when possible?
25) Some say that having robots in nursing homes would be beneficial because they could help with difficult tasks. Do you agree or disagree with this view? Why or why not?
26) Many people think it’s harmful to eat at fast-food restaurants regularly because these establishments use poor quality ingredients, etc. On the other hand, others say that it’s fine to eat fast food occasionally because there are times when one just needs to grab a quick bite between activities/appointments and cooking would take too much time. Which do you agree with more? Why?
27) For some people, using their smartphones during family dinners is considered disrespectful of the time together. Do you think this attitude is warranted or not?
28) Many parents believe that playing sports in school is vital for social development. Others are concerned that children who spend too many hours on sports are missing out of important opportunities to develop other skills. What are your thoughts on these opposing views of extracurricular activities?
29) A new study says that high-fructose corn syrup can lead to an increase in obesity, but there’s no conclusive evidence that it’s harmful to one’s health. Do you agree with the study’s findings? Why or why not?
30) Some people say that students should never use Wikipedia as a source for research papers. Do you think it is acceptable to use Wikipedia for this purpose, or do you agree with those who oppose it? Why?
31) Watching TV shows and movies depicting violence can desensitize viewers to the real thing. What are some examples of shows or movies that can have this effect on people?
32) Many people think that drive-through windows at restaurants are convenient, but they increase the risk of contamination by allowing orders to be prepared ahead of time. Do you agree with these opposing views? Why or why not?
33) Spending time outdoors in nature is becoming less popular among people of the younger generations. What are some possible reasons for this trend?
34) Some people think that using a cell phone while driving is a dangerous habit, while others think that it’s not any more dangerous than eating or drinking in a car. Are you in agreement with either of these two opinions? Why or why not?
35) In general, do you agree with the idea that women should earn less money than men because they typically work fewer hours outside the home?
36) Many people agree that it’s not necessary to be in a committed relationship in order to have children. Given this attitude, do you think the number of single mothers will increase? Why or why not?
37) Some people believe that cell phones should be banned from all classrooms, while others say that phones can actually benefit learning environments. What are some ways that using cell phones can help students perform better academically and personally?
38) Most people agree that driving through city streets is more complicated than driving on freeways. However, some people argue that driving around town isn’t as difficult as it seems because slower speeds give drivers more time to react if need be. Do you agree with one of these opinions over the other? Why or why not?
39) Should a woman be paid equally for doing the same job as a man who has more experience? Why or why not?
40) Some people say that students should study one hour for each grade level, while others argue that this rule isn’t necessary. What are your thoughts on these two opposing views?
41) Many people believe that it’s possible to be both fit and overweight at the same time. Do you agree with this idea, or do you think being fit requires maintaining a healthy weight?
42) It’s common for teenagers to spend less time reading than they did in previous generations because of technology. However, many experts claim that young adults need to read more often in order to become good writers. Do you agree with this statement or do you think technology is more important in developing writing skills?
43) Some people say that teens should never lie to their parents, while others argue that there are some situations when it’s acceptable. For example, the teen might not be in trouble for asking a question or may have uncovered something that makes them believe they need to lie for their own safety. Do you agree with one of these points of view over the other? Why or why not?
44) Some people say that men are better at reading maps because they are taught from an early age to read directions and street signs. However, others claim that women are actually better at both reading maps and finding their way around new cities because they typically pay attention to various landmarks along the way. Do you agree with one of these two opinions over the other? Why or whynot?
45) Many people are beginning to realize that violence in movies doesn’t lead to more violence in real life. However, some experts claim that there’s still a link between violent movies and aggression. Based on your own experience and knowledge about this issue, do you think movies can cause aggressive behavior in viewers?
46) Some teenagers believe that they will be able to afford anything they want as long as their parents pay for it. Other teens understand that even though their parents may help them out financially, they cannot expect money whenever they ask for it. Which opinion seems more accurate to you based on what you about parenting and teens today?
47) A growing number of people believe that elderly parents should be allowed to live on their own as long as they are healthy and feel comfortable doing so. In your opinion, do elderly parents have the right to disagree with their children about where they should live? Why or why not?
48) Some people think that online education provides an equal learning experience as traditional classroom experiences, while others argue that there’s something special about being able to interact with other students and a teacher face-to-face. Do you agree with one of these opinions over the other? Why or why not?
49) Many employers understand that potential employees will more likely succeed if they have a work-life balance rather than working all hours of the day and night. Do you agree with one of these points of view over the other? Why or why not?
50) Many people believe that students should learn foreign languages in order to succeed in their careers, while others argue that knowing a second language isn’t as important as having skills like computer literacy. Which opinion do you think is more accurate?
51) Some people say that children will grow up to be productive members of society if they go through an organized sports program at an early age, while others claim that children who aren’t athletically inclined can still lead healthy lives without participating in team sports. Do you agree with one of these opinions over the other? Why or why not?
52) A growing number of people believe that the use of marijuana should be legalized. However, many others claim that legalizing marijuana will lead to increased drug addiction in America. Which opinion do you agree with more? Why or why not?
53) Some experts believe that exercise is necessary for maintaining good health, while others argue that it’s possible to have a healthy diet without performing any kind of physical exertion. Based on your knowledge of this issue, which opinion do you think is most accurate about exercise?
54) Most people are aware of the dangers associated with smoking cigarettes and other tobacco products. However, some teens believe that it’s okay to smoke because they feel confident they can avoid developing a nicotine addiction. Why or why not?
55) Many experts claim that young children should be exposed to a variety of foods and flavors in their diets because it will help them develop healthier eating habits for life. Do you agree with one of these opinions over the other? Why or why not?
56) Some people believe that adults should be required to learn English before they move to America, while others feel that it’s possible for immigrants to integrate into an English-speaking society even if they don’t know the language. Which opinion do you think is accurate based on what you’ve learned about immigration issues today?
57) A growing number of experts believe that standardized tests are unfair to students who don’t have access to private tutoring programs. Do you agree with one of these points of view over the other? Why or why not?
58) Most people understand that a variety of factors can influence a person’s weight, but some believe that it is possible to be overweight simply because someone eats too much and doesn’t exercise enough. Which opinion do you agree with more? Why or why not?
59) A growing number of parents think that there is such thing as teaching too early when it comes to learning complicated academic skills like reading and math before elementary school age. However, others feel that children aren’t given enough opportunities to learn new skills in overcrowded classrooms. Do you agree with one of these opinions over the other? Why or why not?
60) Many experts believe that children will grow up to be productive members of society if they are exposed to a variety of activities outside of school, while others argue that parents should spend most of their time encouraging kids to excel only in the activities that provide academic credentials. Which opinion do you think is more accurate?
61) A new study claims that people get better results when they meditate for ten minutes before beginning an exercise program rather than waiting until after exercising. Do you agree with one of these points of view over the other? Why or why not?
62) Some experts suggest that students benefit from restorative practices like meditation in order to stay focused and emotionally balanced in stressful environments, while others feel that traditional methods like discipline, rewards, and punishments are the only effective ways to achieve educational goals. Which opinion do you agree with more? Why or why not?
63) A growing number of parents have begun homeschooling their families in order to protect them from the risks associated with peer pressure for activities like drugs, and violence in public schools. However, other parents feel that it’s important for children to learn how to manage potential dangers in social situations when they are supervised by adults. Do you agree with one of these opinions over the other? Why or why not?
64) Schools across America require students to provide proof of vaccinations before entering kindergarten; however, many people believe that this practice places an unfair burden on certain families who may not be able to afford the necessary vaccinations or live in an area where they are not accessible. Which opinion do you think is more accurate based on what you’ve learned about this controversial issue?
65) While most teachers encourage students to work hard at school so they can attend college later in life, some research has suggested that many young people might be happier and more successful if they chose to pursue a career that didn’t require a college degree. Which opinion do you think is most accurate based on the information that has been shared about school and future success?
Leave a Reply