Hi! I’m Lori “Vegas” Ballen (from Las Vegas obviously). I’ve been to 8 Keller Williams Megacamps now. I put this guide together with my notes from the last mega camp event as well as some tips for first-timers. I now stay at the Fairmont because it’s connected to the convention center and the walk is SHORT!
- Bring a sweater. It may be triple digits outside, but It’s FREEZING in the convention room.
- Bring a bottled water and snacks. Lines get long. If you are thinking about coffee, so are the other 5000 people in the area, so get up and go before a break
- Wear flat shoes, or at least bring them. Drugstores often carry those ballet flats you can slip in your purse for emergencies. I have used them more than once
- We usually get a bookbag or backpack. Although not Michael Kors (dang it), they do suffice for carrying lots of things like snacks, vendor items, and cameras
- The convention center will EAT up your battery on your phone. Bring back up chargers.
- The front rows are reserved and taken early. If you want a good seat, you will to run and maybe even fight off a few team leaders. (OK, don’t fight with anyone, but do be diligent in your attempt to find a seat) –
- MAPS Mastery Clients receive preferred seating at the event. Be sure to wear your mastery ribbon, available at the MAPS booth and the MAPS customer service desk. Seating will be held for Mastery Clients until 15 minutes to show time.
- DON’T SIT WITH YOUR MARKET CENTER. Why? Because this is a convention full of people that can give you referrals. You already know all the people in your office. Get out there and mingle. Break it up. Be seen. Don’t travel in a “group” of your own. It’s too comfortable
- Get Business Cards and DO SOMETHING WITH THEM. I take pictures with everyone I talk to. Then, I send a custom greeting card to each and everyone when I get hime. Last year, I mailed nearly 1000 cards. I also closed FIFTY SIX referrals. Worth it? YES!!! ( I use Send Out Cards)
- Be brave. Introduce yourself to at least ONE person you’d really like to meet. Most Megas are very nice and welcoming.
- Spend some time in the hallways and in the bars, yet don’t be one of those agents that drinks so much people think “Oh man, I thought they were cool until….). The best conversations happen in the hallways, at lunch, at the bars, and as Ashley Lunn of San Diego pointed out.. in line for the restrooms.
- Don’t buy every object in the vendor hall.
- Don’t try to learn and repeat everything you hear from the stage. You’ll be convinced that if you just Add X or Y to your business like Mr. Top Producer, you too will do 1000 units in 2016. Instead, write down the ideas you like and consider really adopting ONE thing. When you get home, take some time and ask yourself “What’s the Truth”. What did I hear and what MORE do I need to know about that before I add it to my business. Dig deep. Interview people.
- While in Austin, ride the petty cab. It’s just fun.
- If you go out late at night with a crowd, leave your cameras at home. (trust me on this one.. Facebook WILL follow you. Especially if I’m in the room)
- Say your city and state with EVERY introduction. “Hi, I’m Lori Ballen from LAS VEGAS, NV. Nice to see you (or meet you)”. Do not assume people remember where you are from. Trust me, we don’t.
- Pack well. I’m a a freak about packing. Ever since year one, when I was sleep deprived and put on a non matching outfit, I know now to put my outfits altogether ahead of time. I try them all on the day before I go and take a picture. Then, I hang the jewelry in a plastic baggie with the day marked on it and just stick the hanger right through the baggie. I don’t have to think at all once I’m there. I just grab and go. No, I’m not a high C, I’m a 100% D, 100% I, but I have a purpose and don’t’ want to have to think when I’m tired! 🙂
- Want something valuable to send your colleagues after the convention? Take Video or great notes and share them in an email. People will love you! Much better than “Hey, remember me? Send me your referrals” . Always send value. (Jab Jab Jab Right Hook – Gary Vee)
- The vendors have chocolate
Frequently Asked Questions:
What’s the Difference between Megacamp and Family Reunion
Megacamp is about the best of the best. Put on by MAPS Coaching, Megacamp proudly displays the top agents in the company. What you experience at Megacamp is a buffet of highlights showing how the top real estate agents have grown their business. Family Reunion is days and days of breakout sessions with panels, speakers, and trainings. Each breakout has a specific focus and there are many happening at the same time. You choose where to go. It’s hurried and frantic. Megacamp is altogether and moves at a slower pace. Since it’s really only a day and 1/2 long for agent camp, you’ll want to get as much in as you can.
What’s on the Schedule?
Aside from the camps which you’ll find below, KW also offers the Cultural Summit, Masterminds, Lunch and Learns and more.
You’ll find the full schedule here: http://www.mapscoaching.kw.com/mega-camp/schedule
What is Mega-Tech and Should I go?
Yes, if you are with Keller Williams, you should be there. Not only do we get to always hear a great speaker, and often panelists, we are informed of the latest and greatest with KW technology. I personally love Tech Camp. Then again, I’m a Geek, so I would! This camp is lead by Cary Sylvester and is a 1/2 event around the topics, driving leads and streamlining transactions.
Someone wants to sell me their Ticket. How do we make the transfer?
Prior to August 1st, you can email email@example.com. After that, transfers will take place on location of event. Bring any paperwork you have showing dialogue of transfer and payment.
Will I be sold Maps Coaching?
Uh yeah, I hope so. It’s a MAPS event! Why wouldn’t you want to be offered coaching is the real question! Have you ever seen a top athlete without a coach? Do you think those amazing singers that get out there and belt out the national anthem do it without a voice coach? I think not. In fact, this is your opportunity to seek out a coach. Head over to the MAPS booths and ask about coaching. Don’t wait for a “pitch”, own your destiny and go inquire. Tell them Lori Ballen sent you in fact!!
Where is the Event? How Close is my Hotel?
Is there transportation from the airport?
Yes. There is are shuttles, cabs and Uber!
- There is an Airport Bus Service
- Toll-free: 800-474-1201
- Super Shuttle
- About $40 if you tip 15%
- About $25 and seems to be the preferred way for Keller Williams Agent in Austin.
Is there Transportation to the event?
Megacamp is held at the Austin Convention Center. For some hotels, there is a shuttle.
PLEASE ADD YOUR TIPS IN THE COMMENTS BELOW
- 10 Tips to Making the Most of your Keller Williams Family Reunion
- KW Command Training
- KW Command Agent Sites
- KW Command Video | How to Add a Home Value Calculator to your KW Command agent website
- KW Command Training – 2 Hour Walk Through Contacts by Lori Ballen