Email marketing can seem daunting at first, but it’s really not as complicated as it seems. In this post, we’ll walk you through the basics of email marketing and show you how to get started. We’ll also cover some tips for Email marketing made simple.
The first step is to create a list of email subscribers. You can do this by collecting email addresses from your website visitors, or you can purchase a list from a third-party provider. Once you have a list of subscribers, you can begin sending them emails.
How to Get Email Subscribers
There are a number of ways to get email subscribers, including:
- Collecting email addresses from your website visitors
- Purchasing a list from a third-party provider (risky!)
- Running a contest or giveaway
- Offering a freebie in exchange for signing up for your email list (Lead Magnet)
- Including an email sign-up form on your website
How To Create an Email Sign Up Form
There are several different email marketing providers that offer built-in email sign-up forms. If you’re using one of these providers, the process is pretty simple. If you’re not using one of these providers, or if you want more control over the design of your form, you can create your own form with a tool like MailChimp’s Form Builder.
Here are a few tips for creating an effective email sign-up form:
Make sure the form is easy to fill out: The fewer fields you ask for, the more people will be likely to fill out the form.
Include a clear call to action: Tell people what you want them to do (e.g., “Sign up for our newsletter!”).
Make sure the form looks good on all devices: Forms that look good on a desktop may not look so good on mobile devices.
Types of Email Marketing
There are many different types of email marketing, including:
Newsletters: A newsletter is a periodic email that includes news, updates, and other information about your business.
E-commerce emails: E-commerce emails are sent to customers after they make a purchase or sign up for a mailing list. They typically include product recommendations and special offers.
Welcome emails: Welcome emails are sent to new subscribers shortly after they sign up for your email list. They typically include a welcome message and a coupon or other incentive.
Transactional emails: Transactional emails are sent in response to an action that the recipient has taken (e.g., clicking on a link in an email, signing up for a webinar, etc.).
Email Flows: Email flows are a series of emails that are automatically sent to recipients based on their actions (or inaction). For example, you might create an email flow that sends a series of welcome emails to new subscribers, or an email flow that sends a series of product recommendations to customers who have made a purchase.
Abandoned Cart Emails: Abandoned cart emails are sent to customers who have added items to their online shopping cart, but have not completed the purchase.
Email Blast or Broadcasts: Email blasts or broadcasts are emails that are sent to all of your subscribers at once.
Creating an Email Marketing Strategy
Before you start sending emails, you need to create a strategy. This will help you determine:
The types of emails you’ll send: Newsletters, e-commerce emails, welcome emails, etc.
The content of your emails: What will you say in your emails?
The frequency of your emails: How often will you send them?
Who will create the emails: You or a third party?
Where the email addresses came from Your website visitors, a purchased list, etc.
The goal of your email marketing: Increase sales, increase website traffic, etc.
The target audience for your emails: Everyone, customers only, subscribers only, etc.
Creating an email marketing strategy can be a lot of work, but it’s worth it in the long run. Having a solid plan will help you make the most of your email marketing efforts.
Writing Your Email
Now that you have a list of subscribers and you know what type of email you want to send, it’s time to write your email. The most important thing to remember is to keep it short and to the point.
Here are a few tips for writing effective emails:
Start with a headline that grabs attention: Your headline should be catchy and enticing, and it should tell the reader what the email is about.
Sample: Save 50% on Your Next Order!
Include a brief introduction: The introduction should tell the reader what the email is about and why they should read it.
For Example: Welcome to our newest subscribers! In this email, we’ll be sharing a special offer for our new customers.
For Example: Click here to redeem your coupon!
Include a link to a landing page: A landing page is a web page that’s designed to convert visitors into customers. In other words, it’s a page where people can learn more about your product or service and place an order.
Include social media buttons: Social media buttons let people share your
Include images: Images help break up the text and make the email more visually appealing.
Use short paragraphs: Paragraphs should be short and concise, and they should use clear, easy-to-read fonts.
Avoid using HTML formatting: Some email clients don’t support HTML formatting, so it’s best to avoid using it in your emails.
Avoiding Email Spam
Now that you know how to write an effective email, let’s talk about some things to avoid.
- Don’t use all capital letters: All Caps make it appear that you are shouting, and it is unprofessional.
- Don’t use too many colors: using too many colors can be overwhelming and it can make your email difficult to read.
- Don’t use too much text: A long email is likely to be ignored. Keep your email short and to the point.
- Don’t use HTML formatting: Some email clients don’t support HTML formatting, so it’s best to avoid using it in your emails.
- Don’t include attachments: Many people will ignore emails that include attachments because they might contain viruses or other malware.
Email Marketing Software
KEAP: Keap is a software that helps you create and send newsletters, e-commerce emails, and other types of automated emails. It’s easy to use, and it has a variety of features that help you design beautiful emails that look great on all devices.
AWeber: AWeber is a popular email marketing software that helps you create and send newsletters, e-commerce emails, and other types of automated emails. It has a variety of features that help you design beautiful emails that look great on all devices.
Constant Contact: Constant Contact is an email marketing software that helps you create and send newsletters, e-commerce emails, and other types of automated emails. It has a variety of features that help you design beautiful emails that look great on all devices.
If you’re looking for a tool to help you with your email marketing campaigns, these are some of the best options
Best Practices for Email Marketing
Now that you know how to write an email, let’s take a look at some best practices for email marketing.
1. Send emails regularly: One of the most important things to remember is to send emails regularly. If you don’t send emails often enough, people will forget about you, and they may unsubscribe from your list. Try to send at least one email per week.
2. Keep your emails short and to the point: The best way to keep people interested in your emails is to keep them short and to the point. People are busy, and they don’t have time to read long emails.
3. Use clear, easy-to-read fonts: It’s important to use clear fonts in your emails so that they’re easy to read. Avoid using fancy fonts, and stick to fonts that are easy to read on all devices.
4. Use images sparingly: Images can help break up the text and make your email more visually appealing, but you don’t want to use too many images because they can slow down the loading time of your email.
6. Include a link to a landing page: A landing page is a web page that’s designed to convert visitors into customers. In other words, it’s a page where people can learn more about your product or service and place an order.
7. Include social media buttons: Social media buttons let people share your content with their friends and followers. This can help you reach a larger audience and increase your brand awareness.
8. Test your email on different devices: It’s important to test your email on different devices before sending it to your subscribers. This will help you make sure that the email looks great on all devices.
9. Use reputable email marketing software: Using reputable email marketing software is one of the best ways to ensure that your emails look great and are delivered successfully.
Follow these best practices and you’ll be on your way to creating successful email marketing campaigns.
Lori Ballen is a real estate agent in Las Vegas. She’s a digital marketing specialist, speaker, and marketing coach and loves to share her “Ballen Method” to generate website traffic and leads online. Lori’s specialties are SEO content writing (ranking on the search engines), social media strategies, and affiliate marketing. Need a website? Contact Lori’s brothers Jeff and Paul Helvin at Ballen Brands.