We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Lori Ballen is a member of the Amazon Associates Program
As an artist or a content creator, one of the most demanding goals is showcasing your work and ensuring it reaches as many people as possible. There is no better way to sell art online than by building a dynamic and widely accessible platform that brings people together. You can achieve your goal by investing in the best website builder for artists.
An artist’s website can be an art store, an online portfolio, or both. Choosing the best website builders gives you more creative control over your work. You are your decision-maker. You control how your work gets presented, categorize your pieces, and you can decide on the contact details and biographical information to publish.
Therefore, in today’s digital-centric environment, you must create a portfolio website and showcase your work. We are here to end your troubles by listing the best website builders to get you started. However, before we commence, let us take a quick look at the list of the best portfolio website builders for artists.
Build a Website with Wix
Create an Impressive Website with Wix & Boost Traffic With Powerful SEO & Marketing Tools
Wix is the best artists’ website builder out there. Many artists across the globe love it because of its ease of use and its large number of templates.
Whether a jewelry maker, 3D artist, music director, or graphic designer, you understand how an excellent portfolio website can be a game changer in any creative career. Wix offers you the best portfolio templates to explore styles, ideas, and trends. The templates include:
- Industrial Design Studio
- Music Video Director
- 3D Artist
- Creative Director
- Interior Design
- Jewelry Design
- Art Director
- Fashion Designer
- Landscape Photography
With Wix, you can launch any website with no prior experience. Moreover, the process involved is simple. You can build a stunning website, even if you are a beginner. Wix adapts instantly in all creative fields. With its drag-and-drop functionality, you can customize your art projects.
If you want to reflect your unique art styles, Wix will adequately take care of your needs. Thanks to the Wix Art Store, Wix is an excellent option for selling and sharing art online. With Wix Art Store, you get everything required to exhibit, print, and sell your artwork from your website. Add one or multiple art store galleries to your website with a few clicks.
It is a perfect option for beginners and can get your site up and running in no time.
What Makes Wix Website Builder Stand Out For Artists?
- Provides a happy medium between quality designs and ease of use. The Wix editor contains a simple side menu where you can easily add your artistic text and images. As if not enough, it also includes grid lines that guide you on how to drag and drop different page elements.
- It offers artists multiple opportunities to showcase and sell their artwork online. As a freelancing artist, it helps find the right fit option for your needs. With its eCommerce templates, you can create your online store and quickly get started.
- Can link social media accounts– specifically Google photos and Instagram is a game changer for artists. It speeds up and makes it extremely easy to get your artwork into the gallery. In addition, the feature eliminates the burden of photo transfer. You don’t have to move your images from your phone to your laptop and into the builder.
- A great website portfolio builder. It includes over 500 templates specifically meant for portfolios. In addition, you can use its drag-and-drop editing tools anytime to customize your portfolio. So, you have total creative control over your site.
Features of Wix artists’ Website Builder
- Wix Comes with dedicated categories for artists. In addition, the types include volumes of attractive templates they can select and set up their websites in the least amount of time.
- Wix Contains highly responsive templates. Its editor is also easy-to-use. So you don’t need a lot of time to understand it.
- Allow you to link your Google photos account with Wix. You directly upload all your pictures to Wix without browsing them from your computer.
- With the new advanced features in Wix, an artist can track and analyze their site performance. You can see the progression of your campaigns and monitor traffic.
- It allows you to build a robust website community with the Members’ Area feature. Your members can create profiles, share posts, like, follow, and comment.
- Wix allows artists to jazz up their websites with stylish characters, photography, handmade illustrations, and more.
- Drag and drop editor
- Fully customizable templates
- Ad-supported free plan
- Backup and restore functionality.
- You can sell your service and work online.
- Relatively expensive
- Templates cannot get interchanged.
- The website isn’t transferrable.
- For mobile websites, you will need more manual work.
Create Your Website
Quickly create a website that looks great and functions perfectly with Squarespace. No coding is needed – templates are easy to use and customizable. Get all the features you need to run your business online, like eCommerce, marketing tools, and more. Try it for free today!
Are you an artist looking to make a unique online portfolio? Do it comfortably with Squarespace. The intuitive website builder has many templates to help you achieve visually appealing websites. Some of the perfect templates for artists and creative types include:
- Classon: Best for photographers and beginner artists looking to customize a quick website.
- Ready: Best for on-demand artists looking for a clean and simple display of their artwork
- Wells: An ideal option for all types of artists looking for a specific vibe.
- Nolan: The best option for experienced artists. A flexible portfolio template allows you to display several kinds of information, from contact information to services.
- Otto: Best for web-based designers and graphic designers
Pick from the available ready-to-use layouts and customize the ones you like with your content. In addition, you can manage your internet presence from one location by utilizing square space.
You do not require any coding skills or to be a web designer to put your professional website up and running. Squarespace wins hands down with its easiness of visualizing artworks. The website builder has numerous blogging tools, such as guides on search engine optimization. In addition, artists will learn and optimize their blogs and product descriptions.
Squarespace has a fantastic online store facility with a straightforward artists checkout template. Some of the popular templates for your online store include:
Unfortunately, Squarespace does not offer free plans for its services. However, even at their lowest tier, artists get many benefits from Squarespace. For example, they enjoy unlimited storage, free domain name, and bandwidth. Luckily, premium tiers include customer accounts, analytics, and advanced eCommerce functions.
What Makes Squarespace Website Builder Stand Out For Artists?
Regarding artistic work, Squarespace stands out in many things. Some of these things, as compared to other website builders, include:
- Its stunning and visual-centric templates. Squarespace templates, by far, are one of the best designs. The designs can be tailored to your aesthetic or style as an artist.
- It’s robust and features top-tier functionalities to help you build a top-of-the-line artist’s website. For example, its structured editor allows you to drag various elements into rows and columns. As a result, it gives you more flexibility as an artist working on your website.
- It includes eCommerce features. The features include the fundamentals of an online store, Instagram shop tagging, digital products, custom email receipts, and more. You can incorporate the elements into your online store to boost the selling of your artwork.
- Offers a well-established portfolio service among illustrators and artists. It is a popular choice among creatives because of the professional-looking portfolio you can achieve with it.
- The layouts are clean and straightforward, with many built-in functionalities specifically for musicians and other artists. Squarespace is also responsive. It seamlessly turns your website into a mobile-friendly one. You don’t have to agonize about your site looking weird on a mobile device when you need it the most.
Features Of Squarespace Artist’s Website Builder
- Custom site search engine: Squarespace has an inbuilt search engine that allows visitors to search for results based on relevance.
- It allows artists to give selective access levels to the site contributors. Depending on their permission, contributors can be administrators, website editors, comment moderators, viewers, scheduling editors, et cetera.
- Squarespace offers excellent design tools, such as unique background arts, flexible layouts, inbuilt photo editing tools, TypeKit and Google photos, and custom color palettes.
- Different types of content are involved. As a master in your field, you can customize any content type from text, video, product, galleries, social media accounts, menus, files, charts, code, and many more.
- It allows you to build various applications, such as an artist’s website, blog, online store, or portfolio.
- An artist’s website will look great with several customizable settings, including padding, animation, color, and fonts.
- Tons and tons of templates
- Unlimited bandwidth and storage
- Excellent marketing tools
- User-friendly interface
- Integrates well with many third-party applications
- A two-week free trial is available.
- It does not offer a free plan.
- No autosave for posts and pages
- Analytic and other advanced features are only available for higher subscription tiers.
Zyro is a powerful DIY (Do it yourself) website builder with unique, powerful tools and an excellent interface. The all-in-one website builder is best for grid-based simple drag-and-drop websites. Zyro offers a grid layout, unlike other builders, making keeping your pages perfectly symmetric easy.
Beautiful portfolio templates are hard to get. However, with Zyro portfolio website templates, you get modern, stunning, and eye-catching designer-made templates that meet your needs. Some of the best artists’ portfolio templates include:
According to their official note, you only need an hour to start your online presence. After that, it includes registering and hosting your domain name. Zyro provides everything necessary to get you up and running. Besides that, when it comes to customization, no prior coding skills are required to make your configurations.
In addition, you will enjoy several features, including a free SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate, several stunning templates, and a responsive layout.
Zyro lacks a free plan, but the service is excellent for artists looking to set up their online portfolios and websites. You can create a blog site and more with the available AI (Artificial intelligence tools).
What Makes Zyro Website Builder Stand Out For Artists?
As an artist needing the best site builder, Zyro should be part of the options to consider. It offers some essential features that any good website builder should provide.
- Zyro offers you some great functionalities and template designs that all artists looking to create a website will need.
- The site includes excellent SEO tools. The tools ensure that your website can be reachable by Google or other search engines.
- You can create your website quickly and efficiently with the available AI (Artificial intelligence tools). So, publishing your website will happen promptly, saving you time.
- It features hundreds of neatly sorted options you can choose from as an artist. The categories include portfolio, photography, events, and more.
- It offers a free logo maker tool if your site requires a logo. The logo maker is straightforward to use in coming up with something decent. It also provides you with blogging tools to run a blog on your website.
- It provides you with an AI Heatmap that you can use to predict the part of your website that will get the most engagement.
- It’s affordable and easy to use.
Features Of Zyro Artists’ Website Builder
- It comes with Zyro’s artificial intelligence (AI), such as a content generator and AI heatmap. In addition, the AI tools speed up the various online tasks.
- It features four paid plans that range from $2.90 -15.90 per month. The plans include free custom email, managed cloud hosting, and a domain name for one year. Paid plans also enjoy 24/7 support via marketing tools integration and live charts.
- Zyro provides a 30-day money-back guarantee for its users to help them cancel or change their plans. That is enough time to familiarize yourself with the platform and start seeing your website’s looming results.
- Zyro’s library has hundreds of templates suitable for various website needs. For example, eCommerce, events, blogs, services, photography, and portfolios.
- All templates are lightweight, accessible, and have a responsive design. In addition, they can adjust to any screen size, including a mobile phone, a tablet, or a desktop. The feature can benefit your SEO strategy and enhance your user experience.
- Free SSL certificate
- Cool, AI-powered tools
- Unlimited bandwidth and storage in all plans
- Logo maker
- Cool, AI-powered tools
- Free and lightweight templates featuring aesthetics
- No Free plan
- Switching templates is not allowed.
- Limited customization options
Weebly is user-friendly and one of the most extensive website builders. In comparison with other website builders, Weebly performs well. The platform is very suitable for artists and is used to design eCommerce stores, blogs, and portfolios.
Besides, Weebly provides a drag-and-drop website builder feature with over forty-friendly mobile themes. The tools in the drag-and-drop editor are straightforward to use and user-friendly for beginners.
Weebly allows you to add and edit code if you are a programmer. However, there are limits to what you can edit and can’t.
Weebly website builder allows you to become as creative with your Design. Its unique templates will enable you to concentrate on elegance, minimalism, and relaxation. It takes minimal time to install, customize and build the available artists’ templates. Some of the famous artists’ Weebly in-store include:
Art, Design, and Music templates
General artists Templates
- Oasis: Designed for the artist to showcase their works to their audience.
- Finder: Perfect option for creating eye-popping page elements. It can be used to post photos and videos of designs.
- DimDay: Comes with a more brilliant way of displaying images. It can be a perfect option for your website to display artwork to your viewers.
- Modus Operandi – Cento: The theme with classic looks and modern colors. Show off your creative genius and expertise with the Centro theme.
Weebly also offers you an excellent pricing plan. It has a free plan with a Weebly ad on the footer. Other premium pricing plans include professional, performance, and personal pricing plans. The optimized website products range from $5 to $25 a month, and those for online stores are between $12 and $38 a month.
The website building platform is best for small users and non-technical users.
What Makes Weebly Website Builders Stand Out For Artists?
Weebly may not be playing in the same league as Wix, Squarespace, and BigCommerce, but its result speaks volumes. Its smoothness and simplicity are certainly its biggest strength. Other elements that make it stand out as one of the best website builders for artists include:
- The best-known web builder, featuring over three hundred and fifty different apps. You can integrate into the apps and get to use the site creation tools.
- Includes an easy-to-use editor with drag-and-drop functionality. As a result, you can understand the intuitive website builder in just a few minutes.
- Has an uptime of 99.98%. It means that your Weebly website will be up and running most of the time.
- Majorly focuses on eCommerce. The dashboard includes reports, fulfillment, editing items, etcetera.
Features Of Weebly Artists’ Website Builder
- E-commerce functionality includes a quick shop, in-store pickup, and inventory management. In addition, it comfortably interacts with digital payment platforms.
- Mobile app: With Weebly, you can check analytics, edit, and publish your website with your mobile device.
- SEO guide: The platform’s help and support center offer the ultimate guide on getting started with a search engine optimization strategy and tools.
- Provide blogging features such as in-built RSS (Really Simple Syndication), custom contact forms, advanced comment management, and social sharing.
- All-in-one solution that includes a domain name, several in-built features, and or provision of hosting
- Possible to switch themes even after publishing
- A handy Search Engine Optimization guide
- 24/7 email support
- Responsive themes
- Easy to use
- The free plan includes Weebly ads and branding.
- Limited design flexibility
- Limited blogging tools
GoDaddy site builder is one of the most highly scored website building tools. It combines modern designs, affordability, ease of use, and premium features. As a result, GoDaddy is a perfect solution for artists looking to grow their online presence effectively.
Photography website templates
- Justified: An image-centric design template integrated with online appointment booking and reviews.
- Stefan Girard: Photography site design with an online appointment booking option
- Charmed: Offers you multiple carousel image galleries with a heightened visual experience.
- Creative Mess: Allow you to post oversized images that create a lasting impression
- Karl Bewick: Creates a social home for your music downloads, sales, social profiles, and bookings.
- Beach Wave: Sells your digital creations with embedded audio and moody video design.
- Betel: A beautiful template for your upcoming debut with social icons and email sign-up.
- Notes and Rests: An attention-drawing template allows you to combine two sets of clean images with clear messaging.
Ecommerce Artists’ Templates
- Simple Store (light): Easy to use one-page layout with a contemporary feel. Focus on artwork and get your business online fast.
- Dimzel Studios: It allows you to showcase your work with multiple carousel galleries. It opens opportunities for customers to purchase your designs.
- Connoisseurs: Features delicate designs that allow your artworks to speak for themselves. It combines both stunning grid image galleries and a carousel.
- Markus Fletcher: Provides a spotlight on your products with a simple layout and dark background. You can sell your image galleries and get reviews from customers.
Its ADI (Artificial Design Intelligence) editor is easy to use and will save you a lot of time during the design process. In addition, their recent enhancements have improved their design functionality, making it easy for artists to create professional-looking websites. So, if you want creative freedom as an artist, GoDaddy guarantees you a professional-looking website in just a few minutes.
GoDaddy website builder has three pricing plans: free, primary, and premium. However, you cannot use your custom domain with the free tier. Also, you cannot remove the GoDaddy ad from your website with the free program.
What Makes The Godaddy Website Builder Stand Out For Artists?
As a website builder known by many, GoDaddy has so many benefits that it can offer you as an artist. Some of these benefits include:
- Simple and efficient site building features. The features help artists establish a solid online business for their work. The features also include marketing and SEO tools.
- It includes excellent eCommerce features that can help an artist establish an eCommerce website. An eCommerce website is a massive milestone in terms of selling art online.
- It contains many aesthetically pleasing and modern templates to help you showcase your best possible art. The easy-to-use GoDaddy editor helps in achieving this.
- A bunch of SEO tools to help boost your website’s online presence.
- It’s a perfect option for portfolios. Using the builder to develop your portfolio, you can explore several business features, including modern design templates, to get the best possible result. It is an ideal solution for people looking to achieve simple websites to showcase and sell their artwork online.
Features Of Godaddy Artists’ Website Builder
- Backup and restore: The platform offers you a backup and restoration feature as a protection mechanism in the unlikely event of a website hack or crash.
- Social media integration: GoDaddy lets you easily link your web pages with your social media account. The feature gets achieved by adding related social media icons. However, you cannot access the limited features through the free plan.
- Search Engine Optimization: GoDaddy has an automatic feature that constantly reviews your website for optimization purposes. It enhances your visibility when people are searching for your services and products.
- 24/7 phone support: GoDaddy support team is always there to help any day.
- Google Analytics: With the website builder, you can easily integrate it, allowing you to track the traffic of people visiting your web page.
- Marketing tools: GoDaddy provides marketing tools to help you achieve your goal. The GSuite offers you with custom email for one year. It also has an inbuilt email service which you can also use to manage your emails. As an artist, you can run targeted email marketing through this service.
- Quick solutions for creating a professional website
- Super easy-to-use editor, mobile-friendly and modern templates
- Relatively cheap pricing plans
- Excellent marketing features: social media dashboard, email marketing, popups, et cetera
- Limited creative freedom available
- Restrictive block elements
- It lacks an app store.
WordPress is a powerful website-building tool that can help you create any website. It is highly flexible since it gives you complete control of the functionality and design of your website. You will need a programmer to help you customize and update the builder.
As an artist, if you are looking for a relatively cost-friendly solution and don’t mind paying for it, WordPress is worth your time. You can quickly achieve a great-looking artist’s website with hundreds of themes. Some of these themes have eCommerce functionality for building eCommerce sites, while others are for art portfolios.
As an artist, WordPress offers clean, image-focused themes that are meant to highlight your art and photography without distractions. But, of course, your theme choice depends on your expectations and personal requirements. Some of the top-rated WordPress themes for artists include:
- Astra: A multipurpose theme ideal for visual arts and creative types. It has a responsive design and flexible customization options. The theme is easy to use, and SEO optimized.
- SeedProd: Most popular WordPress theme that allows you to customize your choice of fonts, colors, images, background, and so on. An ideal option for making your photography or art portfolio without writing a code.
- Divi: A multipurpose WordPress theme featuring hundreds of layout packs. With the template, you can create a stunning website. Divi is SEO optimized and can help your website get a good rank from Google and other search engines.
- OceanWP: A compelling theme for hobbyists, artistic blogs, and professionals. It allows you to add more customizations and template options. It comes with demo content that can help to get your website up and running quickly.
- Ultra: A modern WordPress theme with an inbuilt creative gallery and art portfolio. Ultra is a perfect option for beginner artists looking to build great-looking websites. The template is SEO optimized and provides different post types.
WordPress is an open-source tool, and anyone can download and install it. Additionally, you can also customize your WordPress Website freely without any restrictions. However, you must first register your custom domain name and web hosting before using WordPress. Then, depending on your needs as an artist, you may purchase premium WordPress extensions and themes.
What Makes WordPress Website Builders Stand Out For Artists?
The WordPress website builder is the best for artists looking to achieve a highly tailored and personalized website look. The website builder comes with several over-the-top features that have made it stand out among the artists. Some of these features include:
- It includes a large inventory of plugins. An example of a plugin is Elementor, which you can integrate with your website. It is a user-friendly plugin that artists can use to design stunning WordPress websites.
- WordPress is free. You only need to pay for the domain name and hosting, which is cheaper than a third party’s monthly fee.
- SEO optimized: The code behind WordPress website builder and the associated themes is clean and straightforward. The result of this is that the website will become faster. Faster websites are easier to search on Google and other search engines and can get indexed with their contents.
- WordPress is user-friendly. The site builder is easy to learn and maintain. Customizing new posts, videos, and images on WordPress is as easy as making a Facebook page post.
- Online shopping: With the increase of mobile online stores, several people have adopted the option because it is easy and convenient. With an online website builder like WordPress, artists will have responsive pages where they can sell their artworks from the comfort of their homes.
- Responsive design: WordPress site builder includes several beautiful and clean-looking themes that are important for any online art gallery. Interested parties purchase art with their eyes. As an artist, you will want your artwork represented accurately on any device.
- Built-in blog: WordPress blog posts help drive traffic to your website. The built-in blog in WordPress is easy to integrate and use. You can design your blog posts into different categories so your audience can find what they are searching for and return regularly.
Features Of WordPress Artist’s Website Builder
- The WordPress content management unit, allows you to manage your website content from anywhere.
- You have unlimited posts, products, or pages in your content area. Any time, you can add more images, photos, videos, files, or any other media by embedding them on the content areas of your website.
- Allows content scheduling. Artists can schedule dates and times when their content should be published and displayed. For example, create posts and pages, and keep them on the draft until you are ready to post online.
- WordPress allows you to restore deleted pages and posts. Also, with some inbuilt version control features, you can roll back your website to the previous version.
- A free website builder
- Varieties of themes make it easy to design a website.
- Great for blogging
- An online store can be attached.
- It contains extra plugins which can expand the capabilities of your website.
- Requires some programming skills if you want customizations
- You need a hosting service provider to host your site.
- Lots of plugins and extra features to be customized
- Poor SEO (Search Engine Optimization) due to limited SEO-optimizing tools
Unique Artists’ Portfolio Builders to Consider
As an artist, one of the most critical things is total control of your online brand. This is often the case when planning. Whether a musician, designer, photographer, or painter, your brand must be well represented on your website and social media.
Fortunately, website builders have made it more affordable and accessible for artists to share their portfolios and artworks online.
Below are some of the most stunning artists’ websites and related website builders.
James Lewis is a renowned lettering artist working with some of the world’s biggest brands, like Samsung and Red Bull. His website is full of his artwork. His website’s bold and beautiful colors show his personality without removing anything from his unique creations. James Lewis’s website is built with a Wix website builder for artists.
The beauty and simplicity of Matt Pamer’s website speak volumes. Only three web pages (Contact, Work, About), easy-to-read text, and attractive images. The website is an organic example of an artist focusing on his art and nothing else. Matt Pamer’s website is a product of Squarespace website builder for artists.
Sarah Rickard is a portfolio website reserved for visual artists. However, whichever field you are in, you can always have a portfolio website. Sarah Rickard creates ceramics, decorations, and art. Her website is an example of a combination of an eCommerce store and an artist’s portfolio. Sarah Rickard’s website is built using the Zyro website builder for artists.
Kikoplastic is a portfolio website for an expert illustrator, Alberto Jaime Rodríguez Pérez. The website’s clean design speaks more about the artist’s work. His creative use of icons and abbreviations is just on another level. Kikoplastic is a product of the Weebly website builder for artists.
Which is the Best Website Builder for Artists?
Suppose you are an artist and wondering which is the best website builder you can use. Don’t worry; we have the ideal solution. Different artists’ website building platforms offer various excellent features.
However, according to our research Wix appears at the top of the list. The builder has recently become dominant in artists and other website-building businesses. It is mainly because of its features. Wix is very easy to use with its excellent drag-and-drop template. Additionally, it features hundreds of fantastic templates that artists can use. Its payment plans are also relatively affordable.
Do you want a website or even a portfolio where you can sell your artwork? Then, sign up with the best website builder and let your art and creativity get an online presence.
Frequently Asked Questions about Website Builders for Artists
Talking about the best website builders for artists, here are the frequently asked questions about the same:
Which is the best website builder for artists?
If you are an artist looking for the cheapest way to build a website, Wix offers you all you need. Its free plan and several other great features will serve the purpose. With Wix, you will enjoy over 800 templates, and its upgrade plans are cheap.
What should an artist’s website include?
An artist’s website should first include a photo gallery with pictures. Besides, it can also include some videos of the artist’s work, depending on the field of art. To connect with your viewers, it can also have “About Me” and “Contact” sections on the online page.
Can I protect my art online with a website builder?
The best website builders have security features that protect online artwork from being stolen or copied. One of the ways to protect your artwork is to have custom watermarks for all your works. Other site builders, such as Squarespace, provide password-protected spaces on your site to keep your work remote until it’s ready for publishing.
What will my website look like on a mobile browser?
All the best website builders feature responsive templates. They can optimize all the website elements for mobile viewing. Someone viewing your web page from a smartphone will see the images and page elements like someone on a desktop.
Can I use a website builder with a free plan for my portfolio?
Several website builders provide free plans for your portfolio. With that, you can build your professional artist’s website without paying. However, most of these plans limit what you can achieve with your website.